Courtesy Posting for Antrim County Hazardous Waste Collection in Elk Rapids on same date as Green ER 2015 Super Recycling Event.
Saturday, April 4, 2015
Friday, March 27, 2015
Monday, March 23, 2015
Green Elk Rapids Challenges You to Harness the Wind for Trashformations
Trashformations, an exhibition of objects and displays created from recycled or environmentally-friendly materials during Green Elk Rapids Days, returns this spring with a creative spin. With a theme of wind energy for this year’s Green ER events, participants are invited to create whirligigs, windmills, kites, sailing vessels, or other wind-themed objects for display.
While the wind theme is suggested, entries are not limited to this subject matter. Turn on your imagination and creativity and have fun! All ideas and entries are welcome. The guidelines for participation are simple:
- Displays or objects must be created using environmentally-friendly, recycled, or reused materials. Anyone from the village, township or surrounding area may participate.
- Prizes will awarded in four categories: Residential, Student, Business and Group. Members of the Elk Rapids Village Council will serve as judges. Criteria will include creativity, materials, humor, message, functionality, educational impact and visual impact.
- An application must be submitted by May 1, 2015. Applications will be available at the Village office, Library, and online at GreenElkRapidsDays.com.
- Trashformations must be displayed in or near the Village limits by May 9th and are the responsibility of the creator(s). Exhibit sites may include residential front yards, businesses, and select Village properties with permission from Village officials.
Winners will be announced during a special Village Council Meeting on May 18th at 6:30 pm at the HERTHA Building, 401 River Street. The evening’s program will also include a presentation by nationally-renowned naturalist and bird habitat expert Doug Tallamy, “Saving the Environment, One Backyard at a Time.”
Friday, March 20, 2015
A documentary film, story hour, and a book discussion based on William Kawamba’s The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, this year’s Green ER Reads selection, are all on the calendar for Green ER Days in Elk Rapids this May.
Documenting Kawamba’s attempts to build a windmill and provide electricity for his African village, the documentary film will be shown at the Elk Rapids theatre on Tuesday, May 5, at 3:00 and 7:00. Admission is free.
As well, the book will be featured in the story hour, designed for readers of all ages, at the HERTHA building, Saturday May 9, at 10:30 a.m. Family-friendly activities will be included for children.
Community members who have read Kawamba’s book are invited to attend the book discussion at Siren Hall from 5-7 p.m., on May 12. Terri Reisig, Elk Rapids High School English teacher and NMC adjunct instructor, will lead the discussion. Copies of the book, including the young adult and children’s versions, are available at the Elk Rapids District library.
For more information, visit Facebook, or call:
Sunday, March 8, 2015
Several GreenER members will be volunteering at this terrific local event, sponsored by Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy. Check out the restored sugar shack and enjoy the great outdoors. We hope to see you there!
* Click on the flyer to enlarge